Friday, February 02, 2007

Be Yoga. Do Yoga.

...when she [Tara Guber] asked a public elementary school in Aspen, Colo., to teach yoga in 2002, Christian fundamentalists and even some secular parents lobbied the school board. They argued that yoga's Hindu roots conflicted with Christian teachings and that using it in school might violate the separation of church and state...

Outrageously arcane? Surprisingly true. See the full article here.

***************

It's day 16 of my 30-day challenge, and I think I'm going strong. Trying to do the poses as best as I can, taking criticism as positively as possible, too--and I'm told I'm improving (if I look really hard at certain angles, and fine, stretch my spine and suck my stomach in, my ribs peek out), so woot! :) Now to improve some more. One thing that plagues me, though, is whether using lotion impedes my practice or not. Ah crap. I have yet to find out.

This is building up for April. So I've been scouting for places to stay in, with Craigslist and Mapquest. Plus I don't even know what to do or where to go in LA, though I'd love to learn. As of now, however, I'm still unsure of how to proceed, let alone if I even get accepted, but I'm hoping to hurdle that when I get there.

I've recently been jonesing for something sweet, and I must admit I was thinking of a chilled, sweet tea in the middle of yoga class today, eek (Chitta Vritti begone!). I finished my beloved agave nectar awhile back, but we have maple syrup, so that'll do: Hello, hips and tummy. Despite this, I've been told I've lost weight, and been subsequently asked if I diet, but as can be seen, I obviously don't! As my grandma said, "You do eat a lot--just all vegetables."But seriously, what's so deprived about maple syrup, bananas, peanut butter, especially from this store???? They're all scrumptiously vegan. Oh, and don't forget potable water. Thank God for that.

I've also recently been buying stuff--Kathy Phillips' book, the Jivamukti bible, Michael Ende's famous book, even a Lululemon Power Y top (on sale!) in a lustrous red-violet shade and my first Shiva Rea DVD (still looking for her music, though), among other things. A lot of stores have been going on sale, so it's so fun to go around, but at the end of the day, I sadly ask myself if I really needed to buy, period (hello, aparigraha?). However, I know I was told that a decision should be stuck to, so I try to do that, anyway. Besides, I think I made wise purchases (and I really love that Power Y top, anyhow!), but still...it's money! Ack. Plus my cousin's been pushing to go to Hong Kong. I think if I'm firm I can continue practicing Bikram yoga, plus I want to check out a store there, but still: $$$. Accccck.

Yesterday, among the stuff Mom and Dad gave me was a Celine top (and a gorgeous vegan denim Braccialini bag!, which is obviously not an issue). But it was cream/buttermilk-colored. And I hate that color as I just find it too...off-white, and revealing, but in the wrong places. At first I didn't like the top, and told Mom so, but after some thought, I realized it's a lesson in opening myself to new experiences, in this case, to dispel my prejudices about certain colors. I confess to still having a difficult time about it, but as my good friend N put it, "You have to open yourself up to new possibilities, otherwise, you will stagnate, and you don't want that, do you?" Indeed I don't, hence I will try not to. I am now wearing the aforementioned top, and finding it's not so bad.

I still have much to learn, and surprise, it's okay.

Note to self: Now stop editing, dammit.

No comments: