Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Bikram Perseveres

Counting that our neighbors recently sold their house and construction is most directed across my window, plus I'm quite allergic to dust, plus the weather's been acting up....

I got myself sick. BAD. Sneeze-five-times-in-succession bad.

So I was wondering if I should still attend to my yoga practice. I was thinking of chickening out, but a fellow yogini said, "Push 'til you die! Besides, the heat'll be good for you..." Against my mind's protests, I went.

And I conquered.

I did it! I did it! Sure I took it slow, sure I felt like I was mindless following through fog, and sure I had a mountain of tissue beside my mat, but I did it! I didn't have to stop =) OK, so I fell out of two poses, but I went right back in! Yey! I feel so proud of myself, and accomplished. But I've really realized now to always, always, regulate the breath. I believe that's why I also had such a difficult time the past several classes: I wasn't breathing right!...or as usual, letting it hitch, or go all over the place. Sigh: pranayama is mandatory, indeed.

So fine, I'm back to being sick now. But I also think that, more often than not, if one sees himself as sick, then that person will continue to be sick. I'll try not to fall into that trap...plus I think that per another friend's advice, I'll have to move rooms, for now. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, in this case. ;)

On a sidenote...

There are two new teachers in class: a guy and a girl.

The guy's pure energy (he was my teacher this evening). He kept me going, and was fast so as to prevent me from thinking, I guess. But it worked, 'coz I finished the class with energy to spare, and without feeling my creaky joints plus wanting to pass out the way I felt before the class. Then he finished with an incredibly soothing and relaxing cool-down. He was able to make us visualize, and thus actualize relaxation.

The girl, when I took her class, was calmness and serenity personified, flowing from one posture to the next.

I guess I needed the guy's style today. And it was great. I miss our former teachers, but hey, I always believe we should be open to new styles, new ways, new people. So I'm glad I came in with no preconceived notions, just openness and trust. I hope I can be one of them, someday: hopefully someday soon. :)

No comments: