Monday, September 18, 2006

The Devil Wears Prada: my fave quote

“Stuff? Oh, okay. I see. You think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet, and you select, I don't know, that lumpy blue sweater because you're trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that sweater is not just blue. It's not turquoise. It's not lapis. It's actually cerulean. And you're also blithely unaware of the fact that in 2002 Oscar de la Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was St. Laurent, wasn't it, who showed a selection of cerulean military jackets. And then cerulean quickly showed up in collections of eight different designers. It filtered down through the department stores, and then trickled down into some tragic Casual Corner where you undoubtedly fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs. It's sort of comical how you think you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry, when in fact, you're wearing a sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room... from ‘a pile of stuff.’” –Miranda Priestly to Andrea Sachs, in The Devil Wears Prada

I love it, I love it, I love it. It makes sense, showing just how interconnected we all are. At the same time, how do we disconnect from everyone and everything? Even communes have connections. Hermits are connected/dependent on the vegetation/animals they will eat, the body of water where the y will take water from, or if not this drastic, the people whom they will take these basic goods from, at the very least. The movie itself was OK, but this is what made it memorable for me, barring Meryl Streep's and Stanley Tucci's performances (Miranda and Nigel, respectively), and Anne Hathaway's wardrobe. <3

..Oh, and have something new: my Technorati Profile

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't say I am this much of a pest, but it annoys me as well when people say a colour is something it isn't.
My husband does it sometimes, I understand why he likes black, white and red I guess.

Thanks for your nice comments on my blog.